Analyzing a Built Environment: The Blanton Museum

Blanton Museum (built in 2005)To the unacquainted, this trapezoidal building looks like has been a part of the University for many years – maybe recently remodeled. With indigenous red clay roofing tiles and a limestone facade the Blanton Museum blends right in with its younger siblings to the north.

The Blanton seems only to function as a southern gateway to our three hundred and fifty acre campus. As one of the first buildings commissioned under the Campus Master Plan, inducted May 1999 by former President Larry Falkner to “preserve our traditional public spaces and extend that sense of harmony,” its exterior architecture conforms to the “grand classical tradition” of the 1930’s – akin to the Main Building and the area surrounding the tower.

Continue reading Analyzing a Built Environment: The Blanton Museum