Iâ€™ve been doing a bit of networking lately, and so I have been working on my Texas Ventures pitch â€“ or, at least trying to explain concisely what it is/does and why I care about it. Hereâ€™s what I got:
Iâ€™m a recent graduate. While I was at UT I co-founded (with Tom Serres & Brandon Chicotsky) a student group called Texas Ventures. Itâ€™s a group for student entrepreneurs to get together, learn, network, etc.
- We keep a database of all student entrepreneurs on campus. Want-a-bes and real ones. The real ones are organized by industry, description of their business, level of their business, etc. and we provide a prospectus to the university and soon the city of Austin on the climate of entrepreneurship at the university. We will soon be allowing organization like Angel groups and VCâ€™s weâ€™ve partnered with to search this list. Using Angelsoft or an old fashion phone call, weâ€™ll pass off or pitch the best ones to these groups. But only the best of the best, and only if they need it.
- Of course, we have a speakers series and we try to go to lunch with a local entrepreneur every week â€“ the last two people we spent time with were Gay Gaddis and Donald Zale.
Now that Iâ€™m graduating (and the others are too), weâ€™re taking it to the next level and forming a nonprofit. Andrews-Kurth has taken us on pro bono and weâ€™re working on our 501(c)3 status.
- The nonprofit will provide small financing to student run businesses as well as grants (probably average of a few thousand/yr)
- Through our advisor, John Sibley Butler, we are working with IC2 and the Herb Kelleher Center for Entrepreneurship to provide a physical location for these companies to work together in a co-working environment (perhaps similar to what some other Austinites are doing, with this atmosphere)
- In that environment weâ€™ll continue to bring in consultants/professors/etc to continually mentor these students
This is what I always wanted when I was a freshman/sophomore. And thatâ€™s what we have created.
Anything else I should include? Want to talk more about this – drop me a line: jmetcalf27 (at) gmail.com or 210.724.3619 – you can join the facebook group if you’re a UT student.